This checklist will help you in planning the most important day of your life. Feel free to print it out and give copies to those helping to plan your wedding.
6-12 Months before Wedding
- Choose the kind of wedding you will have, date and time.
- Discuss the budget, and who will pay for what.
- Consider hiring a wedding coordinator.
- Make arrangements with the officiator.
- Reserve the wedding and reception locations.
- Select your wedding dress, veil and accessories.
- Choose the bridesmaids, groomsmen, ushers, and honored roles.
- Have a formal black/white photo sitting for announcements.
- Send announcements of your engagement to your fiancé's and your local and hometown newspapers.
- Meet with the florist, photographer, caterer, videographer, and D.J. or entertainment to discuss budgets and options.
- Discuss the guest list with fiancé and families.
- Plan reception music.
- Contact a rental coordinator for equipment reservations.
- Discuss honeymoon and reservations. (Traditionally the groom makes all the honeymoon arrangements.)
- Arrange for time off work, if necessary.
- Buy a wedding planner and envelopes to store brochures and notes.
- Develop record-keeping system for invitations, gifts, and thank-you notes.
4-6 Months before Wedding
- Plan new living arrangements and home furnishings.
- Select and register wedding gifts and patterns.
- Select color scheme.
- Order dress and accessories.
- Order bridesmaids' dresses, shoes and accessories.
- Contact men's formal wear specialist for men's attire.
- Have parents select attire.
- Order invitations, announcements, programs, napkins, matchbooks, and personal stationery.
- Arrange for physical examinations, dental appointments, etc.
2 Months before Wedding
- Choose and order wedding bands and engraving.
- Order wedding and groom's cakes.
- Check state/county marriage license requirements.
- Plan ceremony, reception, menus, master of ceremonies, music, and timetables.
- Plan rehearsal dinner, and bridesmaids' luncheon.
- Complete guest list and address invitations.
- Make arrangements for lodging for out-of-town guests.
- Purchase gifts for attendants and groom.
- Plan reception seating, if necessary.
1 Month before Wedding
- Confirm all arrangements and Contracts
- Mail invitations so they will arrive at least three weeks before the wedding.
- Pickup wedding rings.
- Arrange for transportation to ceremony to reception.
- Attend final fittings.
- Have your hair and makeup done as you would like to have it on your wedding day.
- Purchase guest book and keepsake album.
- Write thank you notes as gifts arrive.
One to Two Weeks
- Get marriage license.
- Give caterer final guest count.
- Arrange to have your gown pressed and delivered.
- Start packing for your honeymoon.
- Give bridesmaid’s luncheon and give attendant gifts.
- Confirm plans with attendants and all wedding professionals.
- Note any special seating arrangements.
- Prepare wedding day fees.
1 Day before Wedding
- Pack the “Going-to-church” bag and an “emergency” bag.
- Attend rehearsal and rehearsal dinner.
- Give your fiancée his wedding gift.
The Wedding Day
- Have a nice relaxed breakfast.
- Relax and enjoy your day!