This checklist will help the groom in planning the most important day of his life. Feel free to print it out and give copies to those helping to plan your wedding (especially the Best Man).
6 Months before Wedding
- Select your best man. Decide how many ushers you need (1 for every 50 guests), and select them.
- Start making out your guest list.
- Arrange visit with minister to discuss ceremony.
- Discuss wedding expenses with fiancée and all parents.
- Discuss honeymoon plans. If traveling abroad, make legal arrangements (passport, visas, inoculations, etc).
- Visit wedding gift registry with fiancée.
3 Months before Wedding
- Complete guest list, give it to fiancée.
- Consult with fiancée and order wedding attire for self, best man, ushers and fathers.
- Arrange transportation (limousines, etc.) for wedding party to ceremony and reception.
- Complete honeymoon plans: buy tickets, arrange hotel, etc.
- Order wedding rings and engraving.
- Arrange to pay for bride's bouquet and going-away corsage; order boutonnieres for men and corsages for mothers.
- See your doctor for exams and blood test.
6-8 Weeks before Wedding
- Plan rehearsal dinner with your parents.
- Consult with fiancée and arrange lodging for relatives and ushers from out of town.
- Select gifts for best man and ushers, to be given at the bachelor dinner or wedding rehearsal.
- Choose bride's wedding present. Something personal, such as a watch or other piece of fine jewelry is traditional.
- Make sure necessary documents - legal, insurance, financial, medical, and religious - are in order.
- Give or attend bachelor party.
- Pick up wedding rings, check engraving.
- Help fiancée with thank-you notes.
2 Weeks before Wedding
- Make a date with your fiancée to get the marriage license.
- Arrange with the best man for transportation from the reception to the airport or train.
- Double check honeymoon reservations and hotel for wedding night.
1 Week before Wedding
- Explain any special seating arrangements to head usher.
- Put the clergy member's or judge's fee in a sealed envelope and give it to the best man, to be delivered after the ceremony.
- Get your money and credit cards in order for your trip. Out of the USA?
- Get your going-away clothes ready so you can change after the reception.
- Pack for your honeymoon.
- Arrange to move belongings to new home.
- Remind best man and ushers of the rehearsal and rehearsal dinner details. Present gifts to attendants at rehearsal dinner.
- Arrange for rental returns.
- Be sure you and your bride sign the wedding certificate and see that it is safely put away before leaving on your honeymoon.
- Have best man send a thank-you note to your bride's parents the next day saying how lovely both the wedding and reception were, and thanking them for all they did.